Thursday, September 11

Is It Just Me?

I'll admit that I'm not the most active person. I live by the motto "why walk when you can lay down and take a nap." I know that there are oodles of people out there who are way more productive than I am and are happier for it. But lately it seems to have reached maniacal heights.

These people are tiring me out just listening to them. And it's nearly impossible to not listen since, along with the hyper activity, there also seems to be a need to justify their existence by telling everyone. Hello? I am not in charge of awarding gold stars, keep it to yourself. Am I supposed to be impressed by the person who belongs to three separate running groups? I'm not. I think it's insane. Running with one group could be considered exercise; more than that and I have to wonder what it is they are trying to run from.

If they aren't obsessing about exercise, it's something else. Work two jobs, save the planet and, if there's any time left, raise a back to nature family by growing your own granola. And they want everyone else to join them in jumping on the hamster wheel Squeak, squeak, squeak. Am I the only one noticing that hamsters never actually go anywhere?

I think it's a conspiracy. There's a radical group at work here whose aim is to keep everyone so busy that they never notice that (a) they aren't accomplishing anything other than wearing themselves out, and (b) the planet is being taken over. Probably by a giant rodent species from another planet who think it's amusing to watch humans run around in circles for a change. And we won't be able to fight back because we're all too tired to think straight.

I propose a counter attack. Everyone take a day, once a week, and do nothing. If you really can't do a whole day (some people will need to build up to it slowly) try for an hour. Don't improve yourself, don't join anything, don't start something, don't be productive. Instead, sleep in. Then get up and take a nap. If that gets old, read a book, count raindrops, watch clouds go by or look at the night sky and wonder what drugs the ancients were on when they decided that a group of stars looked just like a bull, fish, goat, whatever.

Slow down. Take a deep breath and relax. Tomorrow will still come, but today won't last forever. Take some time to appreciate it while you can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, someone after my own heart. I'd applaud, but I need a nap.

fortzd What I will be in a few years.

Theresa said...

I've decided that part of my problem is that I'm both ambitious and lazy. Part of me* wants to work hard and be the best! And the other part of me* keeps pointing out how much work that is and it's it much nicer to read books and take naps.

Maybe one of these days I'll figure out a balance, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anonymous said...

Yep, you are so right.

Being quiet, relaxing, and just being is needed in this world.

Our sons attended Friends School while we lived in the Philly area and they had chapel each week where the entire school would gather and be quiet unless someone felt the need to say something profound. Little was said and they all learned how special the quiet time was.

The Merry said...

Quote du jour:

Whenever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling has gone away.
- attributed to various sources, but I think the original quoter was
vfsvcna

rssasrb said...

I love you guys. People who appreciate the Zen of naps are few and far between.